Follow

Does your Cat (or any pet) misbehave since caregiving your loved one?
Have you been required to take care of your loved one's pet after they have passed? Does your pet have cute antics that entertain your loved one?
And finally, has the cat or dog transferred their loyalty to your Mother?

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
((((((hugs)))) Gershun
(1)

Thx everyone for your kind thoughts about my sweet kitty.

He was unique. Just like his brother who passed 3 yrs. ago. I always used to say "He's an all around great little guy" Sure was.
(3)

Gershun
So sorry for your Henrick.
I know it is a terrible loss.
(1)

I am so sorry Gershun, it is never easy but the memories remain,
(2)

So sorry 😔 Gerhsun! 💓🙏
(1)

Gershun,
Henrick 💔
(1)

Oh Gershun, I am so sorry for your loss. They just do not live long enough.

I have to say, I believe that all of our loved ones that have gone on before will be there to welcome us to our Heavenly home, so you will see your furry friend again.
(1)

So sorry about your sweet Henrick. Saying goodbye to them is one of the hardest things to do for our beloved fur babies.
(1)

Gershun -big (((((((hugs)))), His journey is over. I know you will miss him terribly. So sad. Take comfort that he had a great life with you.
(2)

My heart is broken for you Gershun......Henrick couldn't have had a better cat Mother....I'm so sorry.
(2)

I’m so sorry ,((((Gershun )))).
(1)

Sad news to report.

We had to have our beloved Henrick put down today.

My heart is broken.
(5)

Regarding litter boxes. Instead of using an actual litter box, we have been buying those Sterilite clear plastic storage boxes to use as a litter box. The sides are a bit higher and the box is a bit larger. So many sizes to choose from. Less chance of litter being kicked out.

Oh, do not use the Hefty brand of clear plastic storage boxes as a litter box, as for some reason the urination odor gets into the plastic and smells terrible. No such problem with the Sterilite storage boxes.
(3)

Speaking of cats named socks, I have a Siamese cat, with a Hitler mustache.

Her name is chi, not Hitler. She hides a lot, I'm her one and only favorite owner. When company does see her they giggle. Maybe she hides cuz she is embarrassed. 🤷
(1)

Oh golden, I get it now, but raising them is also I good idea.

Yeah I love, the peacefulness of the early morning when the rest of the world is asleep, except I need the sleep, so I'm trying to break the habit.
(0)

nacy I haven't raised the box, it just has higher sides, but it is in a location I can get at to clean up with less bending.

Not really an early riser but one with weird sleep habits. I generally wake up in the small hours, take my thyroid meds then wait an hour (while on my laptop) to have coffee and a little early breakfast. Some nights I get spurts of housekeeping energy that I can indulge in when R is away. When he is here I don't want to disturb him. Then I go back to bed and catch a little more sleep.
(1)

Golden your an early riser, I'm actually trying to make myself go to bed later, Ifor ten years I worked in a hotel, did breakfast, got up at 4 am. I really got 4am drilled into my internal clock.

That's a good idea , raising the litter boxes. The angle I scoop the litter is not a position my back likes me to do. Lol I never thought of raising them. Can't do that to are older over weight girl but might have to someday.
(0)

Gershun - that's good news!

nacy - way to go!!! Great that you figured it out. Some of them are very touchy.

I rearranged Rocky's new litter box (with higher sides) to a spot that's easier for me to clean around (picture me at 5 am on my hands and knees scrubbing) and spent some time with her reassuring her it was OK. I know she gets put off easily. But all is well so far. She has "christened" it both ways so it should be good now. I may get the top for it yet. We'll see. I'm getting too old for this hands and knees stuff. We can take mats and boxes down to the carwash bay in the underground parking to clean them.
(2)

Gurshen, hope Hendrik is still doing ok.

I figured it out!! My Siamese cat stopped going number 2 in the box after, I soaked the boxes in dish soap and a little bleach. She has been better the last couple days. I'll leave out the bleach next time. 😆
(2)

Henrick is hanging in there Golden. Thx for asking.
(4)

Every night now , I have to lay on the couch put my knees up and make a tent for my car to sleep in. Crazy what we do. 😹
(3)

Ah, gotcha! What we do for our pets!!! Good idea to have dedicated cleaning stuff handy.
(2)

@Golden,

My cat likes to use the corners of the box , which is why she kicks out litter and which is why I was going to build a large box that would still give her room . I was not going to have the walls of the box right up against the litter box .
(1)

I'm fortunate that she doesn't mess the walls, just kicks a little litter out in front. Formica sounds good if you need something like that.

They are all different, If she would go with a big box on top I think it would work ok and it would look better. I can understand that it could get messy.

My previous cat was a large cat too. He was long, not fat, and I had to get xl litter boxes for him, but he was very tidy going about his business. Never any spillage anywhere. I used clay for him but since have gotten allergic to it so use crystal and corn cob litter now.

I have wondered about the top opening litter boxes that prevent the kicked litter escaping and are supposed to catch the litter that sticks to their paws. I don't know how she would take one of those. And when cats get older they may not be able to jump up.

I got some new pots, soil and grass seeds and the grass is growing well on the balcony. She goes out several times a day for some "salad". I'll have to bring them in for the winter and set her up with a little garden corner so she still has greens then. Carrot tops are growing too. Apparently cats can eat carrot tops though she prefers grass. Maybe when they get bigger she will eat them too. 🥕
(1)

@Golden,

Yeah , I know about the furniture looking boxes . My daughter in law had one of those too at one point . She said it just got gross was hard to clean . I was going to build my ( larger than the furniture type ) box out of a Formica that would be easy to clean . I have thinnish sheets of Formica standing up against the two walls in the corner where her box is that I wipe down with cleaner daily and vacuum and clean the floor area daily too . I have one vacuum in the room dedicated just for the litter area . And a box with the cleaning supplies in the room . It works .
I like Nacy’s idea about the large plastic box . It would be more light weight to clean then my Formica box that would be a bit heavy . I would have to tip onto one side to clean the ceiling inside . Or I thought about no ceiling just three walls .
(1)

The new one I am getting has very high sides and you can buy a top separately. I'll see if she uses it first. The one she has stopped using has a top with a door flap. She would not use it with the door flap so I leave it open. I'm going to take off the top and she if she will use it like that. I know she prefers it in the open (its a little room we use for the printer and storage) not in a dark corner, but the one she uses is in my bathroom under some shelves in a corner and she like it. Go figure! I know she likes the bathroom and inspecting the shower stall and walking around the edge of the tub. It's "our" room.

R had a saddle he was refinishing for his oldest son in the storage room and he took it south with him. It just occurred to me that may be why she isn't using that box - it's a big change, She likes some changes but not others. None of my other many cats have been tihs fussy!

way - you can buy cat boxes that look like furniture. I've seen them on Amazon. Funny about the Zoom meetings.

macy - that's a bi.g cat. I hope you find what works for your Siamese
(1)

@Anxiety ,

Yeah I’ve thought about building a big box with a high ceiling and 3 sides . And I could just slide the litter box in and out to clean it .

The rubber maid with a top is a good idea .
(0)

Way , I always felt like the covered litter box is better, because it gives them privacy. Funny the different thinking here. But actually maybe I'll get just the pan in another room. With out the top and try that first.

We have a very large older cat also, fat too, so had to get extra large litter boxes. I've even. Thought of getting a large rubber maid container with a lid to turn it into a large litter box for are large cat but she is 15 and starting to loose some of her fat. But if she got bigger I would of had to do that. She is about 20lbs. We have done everything to keep her weight down, but try to keep her outta the food the other 2 kitties leave behind is next to impossible. I think it's her bread too.
(0)

My cat is a vigorous scratcher in the box too . She has a deep litter box and still manages to kick out the litter . I can’t get myself to buy one of those boxes with a top , I just feel like it’s so confining and not natural that I fear it would cause a problem . Those covered boxes don’t seem to be very big . My cat is big , not fat , she’s just a large cat .

My daughter in law bought a covered litter box , now one of her two cats will not go #2 in any litter box , even after putting the old litter box back . She’s at her wits end . She hired a cat behaviorist , but it’s not working .

My DH’s home office is also the kitty litter room 😜. So the box is in a far opposite corner from his desk . It’s supposed to be a formal living room so it’s a big office . We always sit in the family room off the kitchen . The cat climbs up sometimes and joins him in Zoom meetings .
(2)

Golden, She is 12, I hope she figures it out and it doesn't get worse till she gets older.

😆, she did the same thing. I couldn't believe it, saved one litter box for number one and one for number 2s. That seemed to of stopped also.

I have 3 cats, 2 large litter boxes , both in the same room. Are kitty litter room. 😆 I think I'm going to get another box , and put it some place else, see if that helps
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter